Scribd.com

Post this to Scribd

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Media Bites-December 19

Pop Culture and Religion

After my recent interview with Rev Dr. Tim Coombs on Blog Talk Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/michael-massey) I continued to ponder on some of the issues we touched on-

1. Why have we as a society decided it is more appropriate to use the phrase 'Happy Holidays'? As Tim pointed out and I have to agree, that really means nothing to me. Especially here in the northeast as it appears that we are asking people to celebrate Winter.

2. I have wished my Jewish friends 'Happy Hanukkah' and in turn they have said 'Merry Christmas' to me and my family and guess what, neither one of us was offended.

3. Rather than discourage the production of shows such as 'Vampire Diaries', 'Supernatural' and 'Moonlight', or movies similar to 'New Moon' , 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince'-should we not encourage them to continue as they allow spiritual exploration, questions to be asked and curiosity about religion, faith and an afterlife to be pondered.

4. Finally, should we not welcome difference of opinion and media choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment