Scribd.com

Post this to Scribd

Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31 2009

I sometimes feel like the newspaper business is dying a slow and painful death that I keep reading about-on line.

According to recent research data from Bloomberg, during Q2 2009, display ad revenue is down 30%, recruitment 66% and classified advertising is off 40%. No other media has suffered such a downward spiral and in my humble opinion, I just do not see it rebounding.

The world is becoming much more digital on a daily basis and try as they might, newspapers cannot compete with the speed at which other media delivers both news and entertainment. If I can log in or tune into any cable news net at any time of the day or night to find out what's going on in Washington or what celeb went out without any pants on, why would I wait for the newspaper to show up on my doorstep. Many would make the argument that newspapers deliver local, community news-true. But so do local cable systems, radio stations and digital platforms.

This will truly be a case of survival of the fittest. The print publications that innovate and quicken their transition to digital will excel. The ones that don't will be acquired.

It will be a one screen world in the next five to ten years-newspapers will be part of that world. Or they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment